Candy.24.Wife.Mommy.Pianist.Drummer.Trying to learn guitar.Poet.Songwriter.

4.14.2005

I am proud to announce that I am now the ecstatic owner of the DVD boxset of the TV miniseries, North & South. :::swoons::: It came in the mail yesterday, and I was itching so bad to watch it, Michael brought home some Mexican, and we popped in the 1st disc. The movie is based off the North & South novels by John Jakes, in 3 books. The mini-series actually came out in 3 parts, or books, if you will: Book I aired in 1985 on ABC, Book II aired in 1986, and Book III didn't air until several years later. Book I contains 6 episodes, Book II has 6 episodes, and Book III had 3 episodes, and each episode is about an hour and a half. Do the math, and that's approximately 22 and a half hours!!! After the 1st episode was over, I wanted to watch the next one, but I had to contain myself. Michael was sitting at the computer, and I kept hinting around that I wanted to watch the next one, and finally he stood up from the computer chair and said "Okay, let's put in the next one." No arguing from me! I skipped to the DVD player and put in the next one. Besides, it was ONLY after 10 o'clock, lol. This movie is FULL of well-knowns, including Patrick Swayze, Kirstie Alley, David Carradine, just to name a few. There is even a small role played by Johnny Cash, Elizabeth Taylor, Morgan Fairchild, and Wayne Newton. I'm thinking, "Okay, who WASN'T in this movie?" As you probably guessed, the whole story line is based on the Civil War, but Book I is about the events leading up to the Civil War, about a nation slowly being divided by the differences between the North and the South. The movie is centered around 2 friends, one from South Carolina, the other from Pennsylvania, who meet on their way to West Point. Their friendship grows and their families become close-knit, but the events leading up to the war, and the war itself, threaten to tear the 2 families apart. This is the perfect movie because there are bloody battle scenes for the guys, and romantic, steamy love scenes for us gals. Out of all the times I've watched this movie, I am just as awe-stricken by the wardrobe AND the twists in the storyline all over again as if I'd never seen it before. What makes all the more fun is watching it with someone who's never seen it before. The problem I'm having is keeping to myself different things that I know that are going to happen later! Perhaps we will watch episode 3 tonight after ball practice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home