Candy.24.Wife.Mommy.Pianist.Drummer.Trying to learn guitar.Poet.Songwriter.

10.21.2004

My. Fingers. Hurt.

So Michael took my guitar over to Strings & Things to get the strings swapped around, and apparently, since the guitar had been sitting in a closet, unplayed, for years and years, the neck had substantial damage, and would cost at least $150 to repair. Just great. So much for having a Fender. So...

When we went to the closing attorney's office to sign away our life (again) to refinance our house, we found out a few things. County taxes are going way up in January (I already knew that) and that since there's not enough money in our escrow, our payments would go up to $902 if we didn't refinance. Our payments before refinancing NOW are $828. Well, when we first did the application over the phone about a month ago, they told us our new payments would be $765. When we got to the attorney's office yesterday, the paperwork said our new payments would be $785. So in my mind, I was thinking..."This is not even worth it...going from $828 to $785 is not but $43 different from what we're paying now. It supposed to be $63 less than what we're paying now." So we got on the phone right then and there with the mortgage company, and we were informed that the numbers were correct, and when I did the application over the phone, our new payments were figured on the previous county tax rate, not the new one, and since there's not enough funds in the escrow account to cover the new tax amount, our monthly note would be $902 if we didn't refinance. (My question is, WHEN were we going to find this out had we not refinanced? In January. January we'd get a new payment book with a big fat surprise...a $70+ increase on our house note!!!) So everything worked out in the end really, and for the best. $785 a month, when it could've been $902...that's very good. And a huge help. AND...AND...we do not have a house note due in November. The first one's not due 'til December, so guess what that means? Remember my Christmas cash dilemma? Well, we can now use November's house note money for CHRISTMAS!!!

So after that, Michael said we needed to go back over to Strings & Things to pick up the dead guitar, and while we were there, we'd look around. I can't believe I'd never been in there before. We stopped in the drum room first, and Michael made me play one of the drumsets. I hate it when he puts me on the spot like that! Then we went over to the room where all the guitars are. There was a BEAUTIFUL accoustic guitar that caught my eye...the body was blue...the most beautiful blue I've ever seen...I didn't even look to see what brand it was, but it was sitting there with all the expensive guitars, so I walked the other way...didn't want to get too attached to it. Michael started thumbing through his wallet. He had cash in there. That almost never happens. He then proceeded to tell me that he had $118 in his wallet, and if I wanted, I could pick out a beginner guitar and he'd buy it for me. THIS almost never happens either. I mean, we are mostly broke, plus I keep up with the checkbook and the debit card, so him buying me something only happens on Christmas and Birthdays usually. He was going to buy me a guitar!! I asked him "Where did you get that money!?!?!" and all he would tell me was "Don't worry about it." So we left the store with a guitar that the clerk said was their "best seller" beginner guitar. The whole idea was for me to get something I can learn on FOR NOW, and then get the guitar I really want later, and I am great with that.

SO last night I learned 3 chords....G, A, and A minor. I guess I should be learning all the major chords first, but I love minor chords and I wanted to learn one just for good measure. What's so great about this, me and Michael are learning together, and we can share with each other different things we've picked up on. Last night we worked on some cool strumming patterns that we have heard in different songs we like. Our goal is to learn enough chords so we can play a song in church, either with both of us on guitar, or him on guitar and me on the piano. The thing is, already knowing piano helps me A LOT in learning guitar. Especially when it comes to learning the chord changes in a song.

Ever since last night, the song that won't leave my brain is "Summer of '69" by Bryan Adams, mainly the line that says :

I got my first real six-string
Bought it at the five-and-dime
Played it till my fingers bled
It was the summer of '69

Of course, playing 'til your fingers bleed is not a good idea, because then you'll have to go like weeks before you can play again, lol, so as much as I want to learn a lot all at once, I am trying to do just a little at a time.

Oh, and say a big prayer for Michael right now. We studied 3 nights for his algebra mid-term, and did one final review this morning, and he's taking the test right now as we speak!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home