Candy.24.Wife.Mommy.Pianist.Drummer.Trying to learn guitar.Poet.Songwriter.

10.19.2004

My advice for the day:

Avoid spraying perfume directly into eyes. It stings like heck.

My sudden, sad realization of the day:

Jacob is less than 6 months away from being the same age Travis was when we moved him out of his crib and into a toddler bed, and redecorated his room to transform it from a nursery to a "big boy" room. Jacob is still just so much BABY. I guess it's all in my mind, but when Travis was this age, he was so much more BOY. I suppose a whole lot of that has to do with the fact that by this age, Travis was walking pretty good on his own, and as of today, Jacob is not. Jacob did, however, take 13...yes, count them, 13 continual unassisted steps across the living room floor yesterday. Jacob is a little behind (or so they say) physically, so we may wait 'til he's older than 22 months to move him out of his crib. It just doesn't remotely seem possible that Jacob will soon be 17 months old. Where did the time go???

The other realization I came to, which brings forth much anxiety, is the fact that Christmas is a little more than 2 months away, and here is what I have bought so far:

NOTHING!

We are talking about going to Walmart Friday night to put the kids' stuff in layaway, to help alleviate the stress on Christmas EVE, but it still requires MONEY, just not all at once. We are trying to decide on a spending limit for both kids. I'm thinking $100 each, which I know, in this day and time, parents are spoiling their kids more and more, and kids are becoming less and less appreciative. I think $100 per child in toys is really reasonable, and at their ages, they are going to be jumping for joy come Christmas morning. It wouldn't matter if we bought them cheap toys from the dollar store, they'd still be happy. Travis is already asking about Santa Claus, if Santa Claus is going to bring him and Jacob any toys, and wanting to make Christmas cookies. He doesn't understand the concept of time yet, so I'm sure the hours are dragging by for him. He even asked if Santa is going to come see Kira, lol. As for everyone else in the family, we have no clue what to do. It's going to be a stretch to give the kids a decent Christmas. This is who else we have to buy for, not counting if Michael gets me anything, and if I get Michael anything:

My Mom
My Dad
My sister, Katie
Her husband, Chris
Her kids, Michaela
Will
Andrew
Nicholas
My Mother-in-law
My Father-in-law
Whoever's name in Michael's family that I draw
Whoever's name in Michael's family that Michael draws
Whoever's name in Michael's family that Travis draws
Whoever's name in Michael's family that Jacob draws
Our Pastor
Our Pastor's wife
Pastor's 2 daughters.

That is 18 people, not including my immediate household. Even IF we could manage to spend only $10 per person, that's $180. This does not include any gift wrapping, Christmas decorations we'll need to buy, Christmas cards, postage to mail cards, Christmas pictures (family tradition), any Christmas goodies we buy or bake, and the visit to Santa Claus. Racking up the credit cards is NOT an option.

So $100 per child (our kids) = $200
Rest of the family = $180 (at $10 a person)
Christmas pictures = $80

= $360, which we do not and will not have unless we win a sweepstakes, rob a bank, come across some unexpected money, or someone gives us the money.

Well, I must go for now. The steaks need to be marinaded and my hair needs drying, and I just found out my inlaws are coming over later. Adios amigos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home