Candy.24.Wife.Mommy.Pianist.Drummer.Trying to learn guitar.Poet.Songwriter.

10.09.2004

The Education Advisor did finally call me, but it was while I was out of town, and he left me a voicemail. And now I won't be able to call him until Wednesday of next week because Monday and Tuesday is fall break. Just great. Why don't people just call you back when they SAY they are going to?

He did say I have completed a lot of the courses I need, which I already knew, and that he can either A) leave a print-out for me at the main office so I can pick it up, or B) call him and meet with him. I think I'd rather call him and meet with him so that I can ask any and all questions while I am there; otherwise, I am still going to have a million questions after going up there to get whatever it is he's leaving me at the main office, and will have to keep playing phone tag with him.

But just the other day, Michael gave me the idea of going to LBU with him (Louisiana Baptist University) and majoring in Christian Education. All the course work would be either online or via correspondence. I have several reservations about that...

1) I am actually looking forward to going to class. It gets me out of the house for awhile (VERY much needed). Plus, I just DO better if I can sit there on the lecture and take notes, that way there is little or no question as to what is expected of you on the tests. There's also something important to me about the teacher/student relationship. I'm the type student who takes the front row desk right under the teacher's podium, I ask questions, and often.

2) I want a degree I can take ANYWHERE. If there ever comes a day that I NEED to teach in a public school for whatever reason, I need to know that I wouldn't have to like start halfway over in school again. Obviously, if you move, you have to get certified in a different state, but that's not like going somewhere for a teaching job and they tell you that you don't have the right kind of diploma.

3) Okay, don't sue me on this one, but Christian schools do not pay teachers anywhere near the same as public schools. Granted, teachers don't get paid jack in comparison to other, less important, professional careers, but I know a girl that was a 1st grade teacher at a Christian school, after 4 years of college, and her salary was a whopping $12,000/year. As in TWELVE THOUSAND. I can't even feed my family Raaman Noodles 3 times a day and pay my electric bill on $12,000/year. I know it shouldn't be about the money, but I do have a mortgage and two kids to think about. She only taught school for a year, and is now wandering from job to job, making not much more than minimum wage. Her college degree means nothing to any learning institution, other than private Christian schools. After 4 years of college, and steep college tuition these Christian schools charge, how can it even be worth it???

4) This one is also about money, not how much money I will make, but how much money I have to shell out at this school. Christian schools are much more expensive. In January, I will more than likely have no financial aid and will have to pay for my courses. Northwest is like the most inexpensive school to go to...you can go full-time at NWCC for $650 a semester. You can't beat it with a stick!

5) Maybe I should shut up and get some questions answered before I start drawing conclusions, but I have no idea how many of my college credits will even transfer to LBU. Every one of them will transfer to Ole Miss.

I guess I will just gather some more information, wait, and see what happens.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home