Candy.24.Wife.Mommy.Pianist.Drummer.Trying to learn guitar.Poet.Songwriter.

9.28.2004

My mind is in utter turmoil right now, and there is no one to really talk to about it. Michael is in school, and most everyone else is just not home or whatever. I'm really going out of my mind and I have a thousand and one questions I want to ask and can't at this very moment. I have seriously come to the decision that I want to go back to school to finish my degree. I would LIKE to go to University of Memphis, but THAT's not going to happen because 1) Out of state tuition is a real killer, and 2) According to Memphis' website, if I am reading it right, they only offer a Master's in Secondary Education, not a Bachelor's. CRIZZAP! The University of Mississippi at Northwest offers Secondary Education practically at my front door, plus no out-of-state tuition, so that would probably be my most logical choice, and then maybe get my Masters at Memphis.

The thing is, I have a lot of my core classes out of the way. This is what I already have under my belt:

English Comp I
English Comp II
English Lit I
Oral Communications
Intro. to Computer Concepts
American History I
Western Civ. I
College Algebra
Music Appreciation
Elementary Spanish I
Elementary Spanish II
Biology I, with lab
Biology II, with lab
Psychology I
Sociology

That's 47 hours total, when you include the lab credits. That ought to be worth something. Some of the things I already took don't count (I don't think) for Secondary Ed. since that wasn't my previous major, so I think I could finish Northwest in 2 semesters, and maybe a summer term, and then be on my merry way to Ole Miss. If I am looking at all this right, I am short 7 classes at Northwest.

I still need:

Another Fine Arts
Physical Science w/ Lab
Academic Teaching Area (whatever that is, and it's 6 hours worth, so I guess it counts as 2 classes)
English Lit II
Humanities Elective
Another Academic Teaching Area, another 6 hours.

That adds up to 25 hours that I have to get, which is not a lot.

Whichever route I take to get my degree, I don't want people telling me why I can't or shouldn't or whatever. I mean, hello! This is America, and there are people older than me, poorer than me, and with more kids than me, going to college to better themselves. Not to toot my own horn or anything, but I am smart...I did very well in school...I left high school #19 in my class with a 91-point-something overall average, and went to Northwest and when I left there, I had like a 3.4 GPA, so I don't want to waste what I've already done. I love being a stay-at-home Mom, and I feel very blessed that I was able to be home with them. I wouldn't want it any other way. But my kids are not going to be tiny forever, and I am going to want to work...not sit at home and play tiddly winks all day. Seems like I should be commended for staying at home with my children while they are so small. And it seems like I should be commended further for desiring to finish my education.

I am in the process now of finding out if I can start back in January (Spring 2005) or if I have to wait until Fall 2005. I know they USED to admit students in the Spring semester, so they more than likely still do. As far as financial aid though, I might HAVE to wait until Fall 2005. But like I said, I have a jillion questions that I need to ask and have answered. So we shall see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home