Candy.24.Wife.Mommy.Pianist.Drummer.Trying to learn guitar.Poet.Songwriter.

5.16.2004

Maybe I'm just feeling sorry for myself right now, but I feel depressed. Here's why.

Let's say you are a parent or a grandparent of a 20-something young woman. What would that young woman have to do in order for you as a parent or grandparent to disown her?

For almost 4 years, my grandparents (on my mom's side...my other grandparents passed away several years ago) have had nothing to do with me whatsoever. Why?

Well, does the fact that my grandfather was my preacher in the Church of Christ for the first 20 years of my life, and then I became a Baptist after marrying my husband, sound like a reason for disowning someone? No, it does not, but it happened to me.

Apparently, I was not allowed, as an individual, to disagree with some of the religious beliefs I was brought up to believe. So because I did disagree and acted accordingly once I joined my husband in Holy Matrimony, my grandmother took down all of the pictures she had of me in her home and at her desk at work (I learned this from another source). I was sent a Christmas card the first year we were married, but it was signed, "Mr. and Mrs. ******", not "Grandma and Papaw ******" I am dead serious. And what's worse, they have never seen my children. Well, with the exception of my other grandmother's funeral (my dad's mom) in 2002. My grandparents were THERE, yes, but my grandmother would not even HOLD Travis (Jacob wasn't thought of at the time), and my mother had to FORCE my grandmother to give me a hug before it was time to leave. But OTHER THAN THAT, my grandparents weren't there when they were born, they don't come to see them for birthdays, Christmas, etc., etc. So how do I refer to them now? "My mom's parents?" "Mr. & Mrs. ******?" And how do I explain all of this to my children someday?? "Oh yeah, you had
great-grandparents that were still living, but they didn't want anything to do with you." They live 10 minutes away. What REALLY is their excuse??

So I'm sorry if every time I go to a wedding, I'm reminded of all of this. I've been told by another family member that this is a choice I made. I chose my husband and my own beliefs over my family. Excuse me, but isn't a FAMILY supposed to LOVE YOU no matter what "mistakes" you make? Aren't Christians supposed to "forgive"? Is there even anything for them to forgive me FOR? NO! And don't give me that old-fashioned spiel. I don't care how old fashioned I get someday, I'm always going to love and be involved with my children, grandchildren, etc., etc. I'm sorry, but I think my grandparents chose to disown me.

My children could commit murder, become Buddhists, and move in with their girlfriend before marriage, and I'd still love them! I would not/could not shut them out of my life!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home